Saturday, September 15, 2012

Super Seafood Tray Bake!

Last night I had friends over for dinner in my new place for the first time and broke my own rule about not making something I've never made before when I have guests over... I broke the rule because:
  • I have been dying to try this recipe from Jamie Oliver's app.
  • It looked pretty fool-proof.
  • I wanted to do something in the oven so we could chat and hang out while the food was getting ready (best way to eat with guests!)


Photo courtesy of Jamie's app since I totally forgot to take pics until we had devoured almost EVERYTHING!
I did not regret the decision! This dish was flavorful but light, ideal for a late evening meal. it was citrusy and minty, and the smell of the fresh parsley stalks as I cut them reminded me of my childhood for some strange reason I could not quite place...

It was the first time I bought fresh seafood at the wet market! It's weird but all the live fish have intimidated me for a LONG time and it was fun to finally overcome my squeamishness. But more than that I haven't really cooked with seafood very often before either, except for the odd grilled salmon dish or shrimp stir-fry, so it was nice to have this recipe to guide me!

The main ingredients were seafood (Jamie says any kind will do, and his recipe called for jumbo shrimp, shells off but tails still on, and scallops. I added squid to mine on top of that!) and tomatoes. Jamie says a variety of tomatoes, adding up to 1lb (around 450 grams) for 4 people, but it is hard to get much variety in tomatoes here in Shanghai. I ended up using some red cherry tomatoes, some orange cherry tomatoes and a large tomato on the vine. The carb that gave some sustenance to the dish was couscous, and it was light and flavorful!

Ingredients: (for 4 people)
  • 8 sea scallops (getting these was hilarious; in the end I had to ask the guy at the market to please kill them for me!)
  • 12 extra-large shrimp, shell off, tails on (it was a struggle with the lady at the market over this too! She insisted the heads were delicious, along with the "yellow stuff" inside them, and really wanted me to keep them!)
  • 1 1/2 cups couscous
  • 1lb mixed ripe tomatoes
  • 1 cup jarred roasted peppers
  • 3+1 cloves garlic
  • 3 cups arugula
  • 4 spring onions (Jamie calls them scallions. Also, the ones in China are tiny compared to the ones in Jamie's photos, so I used more than 4.)
  • 3 lemons
  • 1 bunch fresh Italian parsley (I have no idea what is meant by "Italian" parsley... I just used parsley!)
  • 2 tbsp fennel seeds
  • 6 sprigs fresh cilantro
  • 6 sprigs fresh mint
  • olive oil
  • sea salt
  • black pepper


How To:
  • Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit/200 degrees Celsius.
  • Quarter the large tomato and halve the cherry tomatoes, leaving the very small ones whole. Put them in a big mixing bowl. Then add the roasted red peppers (from a jar), roughly chopped.
  • Slice up the spring onions finely, and add to the bowl of tomatoes with the juice of one lemon. Add some salt and pepper to taste.
  • Pick the leaves off the parsley and separata them out for later; chop the parsley stems up finely (this is the smell that reminded me of my childhood!)
  • Peel and finely slice the garlic cloves; pound the fennel seeds with a pestle and mortar. 


ASIDE:
I am such a disorganized cook! I pounded the stupid fennel seeds and then totally forgot to add them to my dish later on! Haha! I wonder how different it would have been...

  • Bring some water to a boil in a saucepan or kettle, and meanwhile heat some olive oil in a frying pan and add the garlic, parsley and fennel seeds (I FORGOT THE FENNEL SEEDS!). Stir and fry until the garlic is golden, then add the dry couscous and stir so it gets coated evenly in the oil. 
  • Add 1 and 1/3 cups of boiling water to the couscous and stir until all the water has been absorbed.
  • Tip the couscous into the roasting pan and spread it out to make an even layer.
  • Add the shrimp, scallops, and any other seafood (in my case, squid!) to the bowl of tomatoes, add some olive oil and toss to coat everything evenly. Then spread this somewhat evenly over the couscous.
  • Drizzle everything with olive oil, add some salt and pepper, cover with aluminum foil and stick it in the hot oven!
  • Cook for 30-40min (I left mine in a little longer, around 45, and it was fine!)
  • While it's doing its thing, pick the leaves from the mint and cilantro, add to the parsley leaves and mince it all up really finely with the zest of one lemon and a clove of garlic.
  • Wash and dry the arugula.
  • Squeeze the juice of the zested lemon into a glass jar, add twice as much olive oil and some salt and pepper, cover the jar and shake. Use this to dress the arugula once dinner is ready to serve!
  • Serve scattered with the chopped herbs, a squeeze of lemon juice and a side of lemony arugula. This dish was a huge success!
To be honest, the only problem is that we all might have eaten a little more if there was any left!

Note: Avocado Lady has the couscous, lemons, mint, parsley, arugula, and other foreign ingredients necessary for this dish! I bought the jar of roasted bell peppers at City Shop on Nanjing Rd.

No comments:

Post a Comment