Thursday, September 6, 2012

Basil's got Back!

I trimmed my basil back a few weeks ago only to find that it bounced right back and was starting to get really tall again!


I also noticed that as the plant was getting taller, some of the leaves were losing their dark green color and fragrance as the plant was spending a lot of its energy growing upwards. The stems were also getting thicker and the leaves fewer and more far between!

Slightly out of focus, I know... but you can still see the green, right? This photo does not do justice to just how awesome this SMELLED!

I intervened with a pretty dramatic trimming and made this delicious basil pesto that I just had to eat immediately with fusilli and a glass of Italian wine!

I had about 4 cups of basil leaves and added a pinch of salt, a clove of garlic, and a good amount of olive oil and just put it all in the food processor. Once it was done I added about 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese and served it over pasta. So good!

Fusilli :D

I am hoping after the big trim that I can get another basil harvest before the cold sets in. I'm also going to try to see if my basil plant can survive the winter in a hold Chinese apartment... Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment