Saturday, February 23, 2013

Master Cleanse Day 5: My Vegetable Soup Transition

I decided to transition back today. I feel bored with the lemonade and I've lost a lot of weight, though that wasn't my primary goal. My husband remarked that my skin was glowing, and the dark circles I normally have under my eyes are gone!

I started the day with the lemonade, mostly because there was basically nothing else to eat at home. After yoga class, I stopped at the farmer's market for fresh produce. I decided to break my fast with a vegetable broth and then puree the veggies into a soup I could consume for the next couple of days.

Ingredients:
3 carrots
1 onion
2 tomatoes
1 large bunch of spinach
1 small head of broccoli
1 small cauliflower
4 cloves of garlic
1 large thumb of ginger
2 lemons, juiced
1 bay leaf
1 sprig of rosemary
1 small sprig of mint
sea salt
cayenne pepper

1) Wash and chop the veggies into 1-inch chunks, so they cook faster. For the garlic cloves, just peel them. Slice the ginger. Quarter the onion and leave the tomatoes whole.

2) Add the tomatoes, onion, garlic, ginger and carrots to a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Add some sea salt to taste, and a bay leaf. Once the tomatoes start to loose their skin, remove the tomatoes to peel them and return them to the pot. Simmer.

3) After about 10-15 minutes, add the broccoli and cauliflower, including stems and leaves.

4) Once the toughest ingredients are soft, add the spinach, mint and rosemary. Turn the heat off and cover the pot so the leafy ingredients steam. Add the juice of two lemons, cayenne to taste, and adjust the salt.

I drank the light broth for lunch and pureed the rest of the soup for later. Notice there is no fat or any processed ingredients in the soup. I could taste the pure veggie goodness and not shock my body after the days of fasting.

Throughout the afternoon, I sipped mint tea as usual. In the evening I had a bowl of the veggie puree.

I felt hungrier on this diet than drinking the lemonade, but it felt good to taste something different and enjoy the new texture!


No comments:

Post a Comment